Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What's in a name?

Recently I went down to Alpine, Utah to have a sunday meal with my parents. On this particular visit my grandfather from my father's side was at the home. Keep in mind, my grandfather is from Brazil so he has this really think accent along with his old age. While we were sitting down and enjoying our meal, my grandfather leans over and asks, "Have you picked out any names yet"
I smile and say, "We have been looking at a few but nothing is set in stone yet." He says, "Well, you have to make sure you give it a unique name. Its tradition. So tell me what you have been looking at?"
I look at him, knowing what this conversation is going to start. I say tentitively, "Well, we like Benjamin, or Edward for a middle name, Jane, Samantha. You know, ones that are easy to announce."
He looks at me seriously, "Those are really common names you know."
I smile again, "Yeah, we don't want them to grow up with a complex of having a difficult name."
We have officially started the war of names. Its bizzare how men from other countries find that the traditions of giving a child a name from someone in the family is the only way for the family genes to live on.
Will we ever mend the bridge? My answer: No. No one can pronounce the names from my families side.

3 comments:

Randi said...

Jane is a beautiful name!

Melissa said...

HAHA! I know, I know. TRADITION! or UNIQUE! is very important to EVERY one in the family. Your kid is their kid.... I say, It's your kid, you get to do whatever you want with it. I support you a million percent on whatever name you choose. Even if its Madden. ;)

Jullee and Fam said...

You have such a cool name..I didn't know your family was from Brazil. Is your name Brazilian? It's always hard to please everyone. In the end it's you and that baby that have to live with the name. Especially the baby. I love that my name is spelled different but I think it's kinda cliche now so I gave Zoe the traditional spelling.