Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Welcome Baby Carter Wels Davidson!



So if you haven't heard the news yet... we had Baby Carter! He was born on Oct 3rd (..I know I know, I've been busy being a mom though...) at 1:57 am. He weighed 7 lbs 5 oz, was 20 inches long and is what I would consider one of the cutest kids alive!


Carter had a bit of a rough start. He was scraped several times on his head during labor by the fetal heart monitor and the nurses. He also has what is called Coombs Positive. Which pretty much means that my blood sends antibodies into his body that attacks him. The reason this was a big deal for us is because Carter started off with his first week as having some severe case of Jaundice.


Granted at the time I thought you would have said I had to cut off my left arm. Carter was promptly put on the bilireuben bed, otherwise known as the baby tanning bed. He was on the bed for about 4 days and then was removed as his numbers fell into normal range. Then when he was tested a couple of days later they discovered his bilirueben levels had gone back up. After some more testing the doctor confirmed we had a case of Breast milk jaundice which means that my breast milk sends jaundice into his system. UGH! Rough go. He is doing so much better now and only continues to improve. He is such a good natured baby considering the crazy stuff he had to go through.

3 weeks later we are now just trying to figure out what foods give this little man gas and trying to stay far far away from them.
During these last few weeks Carter also was lucky to get visits from Grandma and his Gammie and Vovo. We were so lucky to have them out for so long and to help us get settled into our new roles.
I'm not going to lie, I still am nervous about my new role as a mom but he is so cute I can't help but feel completely thrilled that he is our son!

3 comments:

David and Taryn said...

He is such a beautiful little boy. I'm glad that his jaundice is finally under control. I wish we could meet him in person.....someday.....soon hopefully! Miss you guys. Congratulations!

Jullee and Fam said...

Congrats! Crazy that your breast milk was further causing his jaundice. Are you still able to breast feed him? I imagine so if you are trying to determine what foods will give him gas. Steer clear of broccoli..but I'm sure you've heard that one already. It's amazing how you just kind of figure out how to be a Mom. The hard thing for me has been learning how to manage my time post baby.

Edra Davidson said...

I totally agree! With both of you! Carter is finally staring to gain weight so I'm guessing the breast feeding thing is working out.